Green Jobs Pilot Program
The Green Jobs Pilot Program will retrofit owner-occupied residences in the Newtown neighborhood within Sarasota County so that the cost of home operation is substantially reduced. The program will preserve and create jobs, invest in long-term economic benefits, assist those most affected by the recession and increase residences’ energy efficiency and sustainability.
Each activity of this project is an opportunity to generate “green” job training vehicles for citizens who live in Newtown in response to the increasing demand of “green” services. The residence retrofits will include the energy/structural audits, weatherization, HVAC, electrical, mechanical, structural and project management, etc.
The following are the objectives for the program:
- Job Readiness of Newtown Residents – Increase the job readiness of people with low income jobs. Offer “green” job training opportunities.
- Retro-fit for Wealth Creation – Retro-fit a substantial number of houses owned by people with low-income so that they will have reduced operating expenses.
- Positive Environment Impact – Decrease the environmental footprint of the community by decreasing the demand for carbon-based energy and potable water
- Expand Newtown Organizational Capacity – Increase the capacity of neighborhood-based organizations
- Increase Newtown Resident Business Ownership – Increase the number of minority-owned project-related business within Newtown
- This project will result in reduced carbon emissions which will be credited towards Sarasota County’s goal of reduced carbon
- Energy/Structural audits of Newtown residences have been conducted
- This project can be expected to create dozens of training positions (estimated 20 full-time jobs created directly through this program)
- $100,000 has been allocated to this project by the City of Sarasota Commission
- More than $2 million must be secured for the program’s launch